Monday, January 28, 2008

Stress Managment in the Workplace: What to do when you can't stop thinking about work

Everyone has had those days or even weeks when they can't stop thinking about work. If you just can't seem to shake off thinking about work, you are likely experiencing work related stress.

When I am in the middle of reviewing a big project I start reviewing or editing everything. As a construction document coordination reviewer, I look at construction drawings all day, and when I notice that I am doing the following, I know it is time to take a stress break:

  • I can't read anything without looking for errors, it amazes me how many books have spelling and grammar errors.
  • I look at buildings and wonder if what I am seeing was in the plans and if it is what the architect had in mind. This distracts me from when I am trying to have a good time by going out to dinner or watching a movie.
  • I see areas or parts of a building that look like they would be difficult to figure out by the plans.
  • When I see a huge building or stadium in a movie and think about how glad I am that I did not have to review the plans for that building. Like the building in Oceans 13, I would have had an aneurysm if I had to check that structurally.
  • I check my nephews homework and make corrections using review abbreviations, such as CNL for Could Not Locate or AVW for At Variance With.
When I start applying work to everyday situations, I know I need stress break. If I have time between projects I like to go camping, hiking or just get away, sometimes it may even take me two or three days to get work out of my brain. But often I don't have time for an extensive get away so I have to find other ways to de-stress. And often a five minute mini break can recharge me and deter an hour of low production. You surely have your own way of unwinding, but here are some of the ways that I spend my five minute mini breaks:
  • Talk to a friend
  • Get on the elliptical
  • Go for a short walk
  • Pet the dogs
Generally, physical exercise works best for me, it helps me get some of my pent up energy out and it clears my head so I can easily handle more hours of intense reviewing. So next time you find yourself staring off into space or if you just can't stop thinking about work, take a break, whether it is a week or five minutes it will do you good.

Author: Nikki Whiting, Reviewer

No comments: